Optimizing for YouTube has become increasingly important as customers prefer and expect video content more and more. YouTube Optimization strategies are very similar to Google Search Optimization strategies.
Here are 5 key fundamentals to focus on when creating your YouTube Optimization strategy:
1. Make sure your target keyword strategy balances these three metrics: Search Volume, Competition, Relevance
You want to choose keywords that have a high search volume, lower-than-normal competition, and are highly relevant to the topic that you’re focusing on.
2. Create Content Clusters using YouTube-specific tools (ex: VidIQ)
Once you have your target keywords chosen, you can develop content clusters. Content clusters are groups of keyword variations that fit under the same topic. You can use VidIQ to do keyword research for steps 1 and 2.
3. Optimize your YouTube Channel and make sure all business information is up to date.
- Place focus keywords in Youtube channel name
- Add all relevant information to the About Us page
- Update the channel settings
- Setup upload defaults
- Add hashtags to the channel
4. Optimize for the Algorithm
In order to help Youtube’s algorithm understand your video content and rank your videos, make sure these items meet Youtube’s best practices:
- Recording Date and Location
Use a Youtube-specific tool like Tubebuddy for these checklists to optimize your videos.
5. Optimize for Viewers & Subscribers
In order to boost viewership, subscribers, and engagement with your video content and rank your videos, make sure these items meet Youtube’s best practices:
- Custom Thumbnails
- Video File Name
- Video Cards and End Screens
- SRT Files